Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Psalm 39

Fourth day of the fifth week after Easter.  Read this week's lectionary readings here.


4 Lord, make me to know my end, And what is the extent of my days, Let me know how transient I am.

Why am I transient?  Why are my days so short?


10 Remove Thy plague from me; Because of the opposition of Thy hand, I am perishing.
11 Thou dost consume as a moth what is precious to him; Surely every man is a mere breath

Why is God doing this to me?

11 With reproofs Thou dost chasten a man for iniquity...

Oh.  It's my iniquity.  My sin.  My fault, my most grievous fault.

I am silenced.  I deserve all that has come upon me.

9 I have become dumb, I do not open my mouth, Because it is Thou who hast done it.

Or as it says in Psalm 51:4 "Thou art justified when Thou dost speak, And blameless when Thou dost judge."

7 And now, Lord, for what do I wait? My hope is in Thee.

12 Hear my prayer, O Lord, and give ear to my cry; Do not be silent at my tears; For I am a stranger with Thee, A sojourner like all my fathers.
13 Turn Thy gaze away from me, that I may smile again, Before I depart and am no more."

Perhaps the Lord will answer my prayer as he did Cornelius' prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment